Monday, 25 July 2011

Supporting and Promoting Your Book With Giveaways


Consumers want free stuff these days. Authors are responding to this demand with free print books, free electronic books, free electronic newsletters, and other products. My latest book is in production now and I've been thinking of ways to promote it.
Free bookmarks are one of the first ideas that come to mind. Cardboard bookmarks aren't as durable as plastic or laminated ones. Though plastic bookmarks are "top of the line" they are expensive and you may not be able to afford them. I know I can't.
A free plastic wallet card is another idea. It would be the size of a business card and have rounded corners. The front of the card would contain information that extends the book. The back of the card would tell how to order the book and provide author contact information. Many companies advertise plastic business cards on the Internet and the prices vary widely. Two colors are cheaper than full color. Straight corners are cheaper than die cut corners.
Posters are another idea. The big plus with a poster is that it gives you a chance to show your book cover. Mini posters, eight and a half inches by 11 inches, are cheaper than legal size. You could design your own poster and photocopy it yourself. The office supply stores in my city often run photocopy specials and I watch for them. I've gotten photocopies for 20 cents each.
Adding extras to your website is also an idea. Website visitors aren't just looking for author information, they are looking for free stuff and links. My website ha three links to archived radio programs I was on, for example. I just added a blog tab to my website and paid a technician big bucks to do it. Visitors also appreciate free checklists and handouts.
Cost will determine whether or not I have giveaways. I researched plastic business cards on the Internet, asked for an estimate, and it appeared on my screen in seconds. A short while later I received a call from a sales representative. While it was nice to talk to a live person, her job is to sell, and I had to be blunt. "That's too much money," I said. "Thank you."
If you choose the giveaway route, you need to choose your options wisely. I've worked with a local graphic designer for years and his rates are reasonable. You may be able to create your own design and upload it. Does your book cover need to be in full color or could you get by with a black and white image and colored lettering? Is it possible to adapt an idea?
My wallet card idea may be too expensive. Yet I may be able to adapt this idea and, instead of paying for plastic wallet cards, use the design for pocket-size cards. You and your publisher are the only ones who can decide if you want to spend money on giveaways. Some authors have boosted their sales with giveaways and the same may happen to you

0 Comments: